Makes 8 duffins
Prep 25 minutes
Cook 25 minutes
300g self-raising flour
150g caster sugar, plus 75g extra to coat
1 tsp ground mixed spice
pinch of salt
80ml sunflower or vegetable oil
2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
8 tsp Jubilee strawberry jam
50g unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180C, fan 160C, gas 4 and grease well 8 holes from a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Start by adding all the dry ingredients in a bowl; flour, sugar, mixed spice and salt. Then slowly stir in the oil, eggs, buttermilk and vanilla, and fold carefully until just combined.
- Using either a piping bag or spoon, divide half the mixture into each muffin hole, then add a teaspoon of Jubilee jam into the centre. Cover the jam with the remainder of the batter mix and place in the oven for 25 minutes, or until golden and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and place on to a wire rack. When the muffins are cool enough to handle, brush the surface of each with the melted butter, then roll them in the remaining sugar to evenly coat.
- Delicious served either warm or cool.