Strawberry and Lemon Cupcakes
Prep 40 minutes
Cook 20 minutes
You will also need: 2 x 12 muffin tins filled with paper cases, piping bag and nozzle
200g golden caster sugar
200g unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 medium eggs, lightly beaten
200g self-raising flour
400g strawberries, washed and hulled (you will need 24 in total)
Lemon cream cheese frosting:
100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
200g cream cheese frosting
600g icing sugar, sifted
24 Jubilee strawberries, washed
- Preheat the oven to 160C/fan 180C/gas 4.
- Cream together the butter, sugar and lemon zest until pale and fluffy. Slowly add the eggs, then the flour, and whisk for a further few minutes, or until combined.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, divide the cake mixture between the cases, then carefully place a strawberry upright in the centre of the mixture. Place the tins in the oven.
- Meanwhile, make the lemon cream cheese frosting. Cream together the butter, cream cheese and zest of another lemon. Add the icing sugar and whisk again until you have a lovely creamy texture. Set aside until needed.
- When the cakes are ready, let them sit for 5 minutes before removing the cakes from the tin to completely cool.
- Pipe the icing on to the cakes and finish with another strawberry to decorate.